How to choose children’s shoes?
In the process of child development shoes selection, takes an important place. By protecting your child’s foot health with the right shoes, it is …
In the process of child development shoes selection, takes an important place. By protecting your child’s foot health with the right shoes, it is possible to minimize the risk of injury. So, what should be considered when buying shoes? Orthopedics and Traumatology Specialist Assoc. Dr. Kaya Hüsnü Akan explained what should be considered in choosing the right shoes for families for their children!
Transition to walking and progress in children; It is one of the most important steps of nerve development. Choosing the right shoe for your child, who is on balance on two feet and trying to get to know his / her environment; While maintaining both foot health and neurological development, it will protect the body health by reducing the risk of injury.
There are 6 stages of walking
Stages of walking in children; We can categorize as crawling, sorting, walking, safe walking, walking flatfoot (2 age group) and walking with heel-toe (3-5 years old). In all these steps of the shoe features, child development; light, flexible and stable, it is expected to answer all of the foot’s possibilities. The first condition for the right shoe will be to choose the shops that deal specifically with this business.
Be realistic in choosing shoes and don’t be fooled by the beautiful view and color of the shoe
Don’t let your head get confused when choosing shoes. Don’t buy a ballerina shoes out of the shop just because your child likes it! It is also important that the child likes shoes, but it is much more important for what purpose you buy and for which season. If you choose neutral colors as color, it will be possible to make it available to the child’s brother or a relative. Because they will not be able to use as much as they wear.
How to find the right shoe size for the child?
Finding the right shoe size for the child you need to pay attention to some issues. Firstly; The following 3 things are important in any shoe:
1. The heel should be hard: When you press on both sides, it should not migrate inside.
2. The finger part should be flexible: When you bend the end part, it should yawn just like walking.
3. The middle of the shoe should not stretch: Should not be bent when you try to fold the shoe in the middle.
Now let’s look at the size of a shoe that passes this test.
Choose the shoes for your child towards the evening!
Your child’s feet begin to swell a little towards the evening. Therefore, just like in adults, the selection of children’s shoes should be made towards the evening. The child should always have thick socks that he wears. If the child does not have such socks, always carry one of the socks he wears.
Let’s get to the trial part. . .
When the child wears the shoes;
- While in a sitting position, gently pull the heel of the shoe to see if it comes out of the foot. It has to slip very little.
- Look for the foot to sit inside the shoe for width. The “foot” part, which is the widest part of the foot before the fingers begin, should fit comfortably on the widest part of the shoe. To try this, when you squeeze the shoe with your fingers on both sides, some shoes should be stuck before they come to the foot.
- The heel circumference prevents the new shoes from hitting, especially in mobile children. This part; it should be plastic and not mobile.
- Binding part: It can be laced or velcro. Usually, velcro with good bands for younger ages and school are ideal for both quick closure and for the child to be able to change his shoes in body classes on his own.
- The size of the shoes: Recommended is not the big toe of the foot, it is measured from the longest finger, leaving a space as much as a sign or thumb according to the age of the child (10-15 mm)
- These measurements must be made for both feet because one foot will never be the same as the other.
- Buying big size shoes for young children to grow up somehow is the most important reason for them to get stuck.
Pay close attention to the material of the shoes
Good shoe materials are one of the critical factors for the child’s foot health. Since a child’s foot is calculated to sweat about 50 liters in a year, the material should be able to absorb and sweat it. This also; It can be with leather or canvas (linen or similar) material.
- After wearing the shoes of children, it should be checked whether it is rubbed here by doing ankle folding movements.
- If the shoe is large or wide, it may rub against standing feet.
- Also see if the little finger is located on the outside of the shoe.
- The support part on the inside of the shoe should also start from the bottom of the thumb.
After buying your child’s shoes, it is useful to check the inside and outside for occasional wear.
- 1-2 years old every 2 months,
- 3-4 years old every 4 months,
- Every 6 months between the ages of 5-6,
- You should check your kids’ feet growth every year after 6 years of age.