Brown spots on teeth can be caused by a variety of reasons, from smoking habits to genetics. In our article, we will talk about the causes of this condition and natural treatment methods.
What Causes Brown Stains on Teeth?
- Smoking has many harmful effects on health. The most obvious of these damages is the formation of brown spots on the teeth. The reason for these stains, which are mostly seen in smokers, is that smoking causes the accumulation of unwanted substances on the teeth.
- Drinking a lot of beverages such as alcohol and coffee can also cause brown stains on the teeth.
- Lack of hygiene in the tooth can also cause stains on the tooth. Harmful bacteria accumulate on the teeth that are not cleaned regularly and these bacteria lead to the formation of stains on the teeth.
- Some drugs and antibiotics can also cause brown stains on the teeth.
- Brown spots on teeth can also be genetic. The probability of this problem increases in those whose parents have yellowing problems in their teeth.
- Some types of treatment, such as radiation therapy, can directly affect the tooth surface and cause brown spots on the teeth.
- Sometimes too much fluoride in water or toothpaste can cause brown stains on teeth, especially in children.
- Chewing tobacco is one of the most common causes of brown spots on teeth.
- With the advancement of age, the likelihood of brown spots on the teeth increases.
Natural Remedies for Brown Spots on Teeth
Baking soda is one of the most effective methods of removing brown spots on teeth. You can use baking soda to remove brown spots on teeth as follows;
Mix a quarter teaspoon of baking soda with a little toothpaste. Then take this mixture with your toothbrush and brush your teeth. Afterwards, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. Use this method 1-2 times a week.
In another method, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoons of water. Brush your teeth with this mixture. Do this method several times a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar acts as a natural disinfectant and purifier. In this respect, apple cider vinegar helps whiten teeth. The active ingredient in apple cider vinegar, called acetic acid, kills bacteria in the mouth and reduces the risk of plaque formation on the teeth. In a study published in the journal of Sichuan University in 2004, researchers reported that apple cider vinegar has a whitening effect on teeth. However, apple cider vinegar is also known to soften the tooth surface.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water.
- Rinse this vinegar-water mixture in your mouth for 1 minute and spit.
- Then rinse your mouth with water.
- Do this method several times a week.
You can try orange peel, which is one of the commonly used methods to whiten your yellowing teeth. Orange peel is an effective whitening agent thanks to its acidic properties. The contribution of orange peel to reducing brown spots on teeth is great. Moreover, the limonene in the orange peel is very effective in removing the brown stains on the teeth, especially in smoking.
In a study published in the Journal of American Dentistry, it was reported that toothpastes containing d-limonene reduce cigarette stains on the teeth and that the d-limonene compound alone prevents the formation of more stains on the teeth.
- Peel the rind of one orange and wrap your teeth with it for 2-3 minutes.
- Afterwards, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Apply this method 2 times a day until you see whitening in your teeth.
Hydrogen Peroxide (Oxygenated Water)
Oxygenated water is a natural color lightener-whitener. Oxygenated water also kills bacteria in the mouth and prevents bad odor in the mouth. In the study published in the Journal of Clinical Dentistry, it was stated that brushing twice a day with toothpastes containing carbonate and hydrogen peroxide whitened the teeth by 62% in 6 weeks.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 teaspoon of water. Rinse your mouth with this mixture twice a day.
- Alternatively, mix 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Brush your teeth with this for 2-3 weeks, several times a week.
Coconut oil also helps to get rid of brown spots on teeth.
- Put 1 tablespoon of pure coconut oil in your mouth.
- You swish this around in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t gargle.
- Then spit it out.
- Then rinse your mouth with water.
- Finally, brush your teeth as usual.
- Do this method every morning before breakfast.