For the production of energy in a healthy human body, glucose is burned. When there is not enough glucose in the body, the cells begin to burn fat and proteins. This leads to urine and ketone in the blood. The high rate of ketone in the urine is called ketonuria. This is most commonly seen in women with diabetes and type 1 diabetes, pregnant and lactating women.
How Is Ketone Measurement in Urine?
Ketone status in the body is learned by urinalysis and blood tests. The urine test can also be done at home. There are 2 kinds of urine tests at home: Ketone rod and urine strip. These two tests can be purchased in pharmacies without a prescription or via the Internet.
What Does Ketone Values Mean in Urine?
In the case of ketone in urine, the test is positive and if not, it is negative. The results of urine analysis are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- If less than 20 mg / dL: Light weight
- 30-40 mg / dL: Moderate
- If greater than 80 mg / dL: Severe
What Is The Ketone Test And Ketone Rod?
The amount of ketone in the urine is measured by the ketone test. The ketone rod is used in this test. In our body, normally glucose is burned for energy. If there is not enough glucose in the body, fatty acids in the body begin to be burned. The oils are melted and energy is produced. Ketone is produced as a result of melting of fats. Excess ketone is excreted from the body with urine. This way, the ketone exits in the urine and is measured by the ketone test.
Ketones obtained as a result of fat metabolism are used as an energy source in emergency situations such as low sugar and hunger in the body.
What Are Ketone Symptoms in Urine?
- Frequent urination
- Dehydration: Ketone excretion in the body causes excessive fluid loss in the body.
- Being dehydrated by the body: Excessive urination and vomiting lead to fluid loss in the body.
- Nausea or vomiting: When ketone is excreted from the body, potassium and sodium are excreted at the same time. Low potassium and sodium in the body also cause nausea and vomiting.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Confusion of Consciousness
- Acetone and fruit smell in the breath
- Dizziness and fainting due to poisoning
What are the Causes of Ketone Height in Urine?
Ketone in urine is caused by the lack of sugar in the body due to the lack of sugar and fatty acids in the body to start burning and as a result of free ketones in the oil to flow free from urine. This is due to the following reasons:
- Diabetes: The most common cause of ketone formation in urine is diabetes.
- Excessive stress
- Keeping carbohydrates in the diet too low
- Keeping oil too high in nutrition
- Shock diets
- Excessive operation of the thyroid gland
- 18 hours and more time hungry
- Exposure to extreme cold
- High fever caused by infection
- Lack of nutrition
- Loss of carbohydrates in the body due to nausea and frequent vomiting
- Excessive exercise
- Burns in the body
- Anesthesia using ether
- Poisoning (such as isopropanol poisoning)
- Some metabolic diseases (such as glycogen storage disease)
- Pregnancy poisoning
- Apply ketogenic diet
- Take vitamin C supplements
- Levodopa, phenazopyrazine, valproic acid and some other drugs
- Eating disorders that cause food deficiency in the body such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia
Treatment of Ketone in Urine
Although the small amount of ketone in urine is not harmful, it is necessary to treat it in urgent cases.
Ketone Emergency Treatment in Urine
When diabetic ketoacidosis is the cause of the ketone in urine, the following treatment methods can be applied:
- Vascular delivery of mineral and insulin support to the patient
- Patient awareness of the amount of insulin in diabetics
- Control of the patient in the hospital in case of respiratory failure and edema in the brain
Persons with ketone due to diabetes should not delay their treatment.
For energy in the body, the cause of fat burning should be determined instead of glucose and the following should be considered:
- The patient should be given enough sugar.
- The patient should be kept hungry for a long time.
- The patient should not exercise for a long time.
What Does Ketone Work in Urine Mean?
Ketone in urine shows that ketone is in urine. This is usually the case during pregnancy, when the person is hungry and has diabetes. A negative result of the ketone test in urine indicates no urinary ketone.