Making a PKU diet is an action that patients with phenylketonuria must do for their health. Phenylketonuria is a disease that prevents the metabolism of a substance called phenylalanine in foods. If left untreated, it can cause severe mental retardation and serious nervous system diseases in infants.
Foods Banned in the PKU Diet
Patients with phenylketonuria must adapt to a particular diet. In this diet list, there are foods that are forbidden to be consumed, can be consumed freely and should be limited. Phenylketonuria sample diet list
The foods that will never be found in can be listed as follows;
- It is strictly forbidden to consume milk and dairy products. It is forbidden to consume buttermilk, milk, yogurt, cheese and all foods made with them.
- Eggs should never be consumed.
- Consumption of ready products such as cakes, cookies, crackers, pastries is prohibited.
- It is forbidden to consume dried fruits, including all varieties.
- It is forbidden to consume dried legumes such as dried kidney beans, beans, beans.
- It is strictly forbidden to consume meat and meat products. Shellfish, sausages, sausage, bacon, turkey meat, etc. not all products should be consumed.
- It is forbidden to consume wheat, corn bread, rye and all normal bread types.
- It is forbidden to consume animal internal organs such as kidney, liver, brain.
- It is forbidden to consume products such as beverage, food and chewing gum containing phenylalanine and aspartame.
Foods Free to Eat in the PKU Diet
Practicing PKU diet Patients with phenylketonuria
Foods that are free to consume can be listed as follows;
- Plain rock candy
- Plain Turkish Delight
- Corn starch
- Tea sugar
- compote water
- Apple juice
- Cola drinks
Limited Foods to Eat in PKU Diet
PKU diet, the foods that should be consumed in a limited way can be listed as follows;
- Bakery foods