Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. It is extremely beneficial for our health. Vitamin D is generally divided into 2 groups as D2 and D3. Vitamin D2 is available from foods such as eggs, salmon, fish oil and mackerel. On the other hand vitamin D3 is produced by the body itself with the help of sunlight. Lack of vitamin D3 can lead to many health problems. This vitamin is one of the most important vitamins our body needs.
What is Vitamin D3, What are the benefits?
Vitamin D3 is the only vitamin produced by the human body when exposed to the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Therefore, this vitamin is often defined as am sun vitamin vit. It has a very important role for our overall health. In fact, it is both a vitamin and a hormone. The tasks of vitamin D3 are as follows;
- As vitamin, it facilitates the absorption of calcium. It is important for bone and dental health.
- It prevents bone resorption and other bone-related diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- It is converted to hormone by human body. This vitamin is derived from 7-dehydrocholesterol but converted to 1,25 D3 dihydroxyvitaminine or calcite by the kidneys and liver.
- Calcitrol plays a role in controlling the level of phosphorus, calcium and bone metabolism.
- Although vitamin D3 is derived from sunlight, it has many nutrients rich in vitamins. These are fish products such as salmon, tuna, fish such as sardine and fish oil. It is also found in small amounts of enriched milk, eggs, bread and cereals. Apart from these, vitamin D3 pills, drops, supplements are also available.
Symptoms of Vitamin D3 Deficiency:
- Hair loss
- Skin dryness
- Thyroid problems
Causes of Vitamin D3 Deficiency:
Vitamin D3 is primarily derived from sunlight. Therefore, the underlying causes of vitamin D3 deficiency are also associated with this factor. The following factors may also cause vitamin D3 deficiency:
Exposure to the sun in insufficient levels:
Our body needs ultraviolet rays of the sun to produce vitamin D3. It is recommended to sunbathe in the sun for at least 15 minutes to get the vitamin D3 required. If sunbathing is insufficient, this leads to vitamin D3 deficiency.
Highly protected sunscreens prevent our body from absorbing useful sunlight. Those who use sunscreen often lack vitamin D3.
Aging is also a factor that can cause vitamin D3 deficiency.
Inadequate Consumption of Food Sources:
According to the National Institute of Health, the highest sources of vitamin D3 are fish and fish products. Vegetarians are more likely to have vitamin D3 deficiency.
Diseases Caused by Vitamin D3 Deficiency:
- Rheumatic arthritis
- Multiple sclerosis (MS disease)
Vitamin D3 Deficiency Therapy:
Everyone can have a problem with vitamin D3 deficiency and, if not treated, can cause long-term health problems. Diagnosis of deficiency can be done by 25-hydroxyvitamin vitamin D test. To treat vitamin D3 deficiency, the following can be done;
Exposure to the Sun:
Exposure to sunlight is the most effective way to increase your vitamin D3 levels. There is no need to wait in the sun for hours. It is enough for you to need vitamin D3 to leave your arms, legs, face or back in direct sunlight for 10-15 minutes a day without the use of sunscreen.
There are very few nutrients that contain vitamin D3. Some of these are cheese, eggs, fatty fish and liver. Fish oil is a rich source for this vitamin. In addition, enriched milk and orange juice also contain vitamin D3. So the other way to increase the level of vitamin D3 is to increase the consumption of these foods.
Vitamin Drug Usage
There are many drugs that can increase vitamin D3 intake. D3 vitamin pills, drops can be obtained from the pharmacy.