As we all know, fish poisoning usually happens when eating stale fish. In addition, the wrong way in the storage and cooking conditions of the fish may cause poisoning. You ate fish and felt you were poisoned. What should you do? In the first place should drink plenty of water and you should see a doctor immediately.
Fish Poisoning Symptoms
In the case of fish poisoning, people sometimes observe a few symptoms, sometimes identifying what causes the symptoms of poisoning. Let’s look at it:
- Some digestive system problems; vomiting, stomach contractions, diarrhea.
- Headache, fatigue
- Fainting, rarely fainting
- Muscle and joint pain
- Tingling sensation around the mouth or fingers
- Skin rash and marked itching
- Burn or pain felt on the skin when in contact with cold water
- Dryness in mouth
- Redness or swelling of the body and tongue
- Difficulty in breathing
- Low blood pressure
- Severe dizziness
- Even in severe cases the patient enters a coma
- High fever
- Cramps into the stomach
Causes of Fish Poisoning
Incorrect Storage Conditions
In order to be able to respond to demands in all seasons of the year, fish are frozen and stocked. These are not only exclusive restaurants, but also by companies such as pharmaceutical companies and cosmetics companies, etc., which are highly sought after. These fish are used outside the fish season. However, if the fish are not properly stored or frozen, it will cause poisoning. This is the most common cause of fish poisoning. Especially in mackerel, sardine and tuna fish poisonings, the cause is a special amino acid in the fish called histidine. If the fish is stored incorrectly and frozen, the histidine turns into histamine. And when these fish are consumed they cause toxicity by making toxic effects.
Raw Fish and Microbes
As in other meats, fish can also have parasites and microbes. For this reason, a hygienically clean fish that is not cleaned from bacteria can be poisoned if it is consumed undercooked or uncooked.
How long does fish poisoning occur?
Symptoms of fish poisoning will occur within a period of 1 hour. Sometimes it occurs at the end of 1 hour.
Which Ph.D. / Department To Fish Poisoning?
In such a case, ‘Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology’ section will go.
How is Fish Poisoning Treated?
We have mentioned above, you should immediately contact a nearby hospital if you feel you are poisoned. Or you should be kept under control by a specialist.
The path followed in fish poisoning is as follows; To replace the liquid and minerals lost due to poisoning as soon as possible and to completely eliminate the continuity of bacteria and formations that cause poisoning.
The treatment under doctor’s supervision is as follows;
- For this, the patient is completely vomited.
- And the patient is given laxative and diarrhea is provided that the intestines well,
- After the stomach and intestines are emptied, diarrhea medication is given,
- In the first 24-hour period, the patient is encouraged to consume plenty of fluid or if the poisoning is severe, the serum is given. The intention is to supplement the vomiting and diarrhea with the patient’s lost fluid.
- In the following days, it is recommended that the doctor consumes the type of food that is not easy for the patient to consume the stomach and usually consumes liquid foods. Spicy, oily, heavy food to stay away from the constant warning. In this process, the consumption of milk and milk products is not considered appropriate. It is better for the patient to consume simple and light foods such as boiled potatoes, toast and bananas.
How to Prevent Fish Poisoning
- The fish must be fresh, so that they can be protected from fish poisoning.
- The freshness of a fish is usually understood from the eyes of the fish. Everyone usually knows that. Fresh fish eye white is not yellow. The white zone is quite white and not jaundice nor is it bloody.
- The skin and tail of the stale fish is drooping. In fresh fish, the skin and tail are tight and their scales are bright.
- There’s no smell of fresh fish.
- With such information, it is often possible to prevent fish poisoning.