White Stool Causes and Treatment of Light Color Poop
The color of the stool is normally brown tones. White stool often stems from gall bladder problems, small intestine, pancreatic and liver diseases. If your stool is white, you should go to an Internal Medicine doctor to determine the cause of this condition and to treat it.
What Are the Causes of White Stool, Diarrhea?
- Stones in the gallbladder
- Jaundice disease
- Hepatitis (Liver infection): Hepatitis is a disease that develops due to liver inflammation and is mostly caused by viruses.
- Cirrhosis disease: It occurs when liver cells are lost. In this disease, the liver is seriously injured and this is irreversible.
- Some types of cancer, such as pancreatic cancer, cause fatigue with light or white stools.
- Parasite diseases
- Pancreatic diseases
- Some medications, such as antibiotics, can cause your stools to turn white as a side effect .
- Cancer or tumors of the liver, bile ducts, gallbladder or pancreas
- Gallbladder inflammation (acute cholecystitis): Inflammation of the gallbladder is called acute cholecystitis. Gallstones, known as cholelithiasis, are the most common cause of acute cholecystitis.
- Biliary Atresia (Congenital absence of bile ducts): This condition, called biliary atresia (biliary atresia), refers to the absence of bile ducts. Before or immediately after birth, bile ducts begin to block and progress, leading to severe liver disease. It is more common in women.
- Biliary cirrhosis (inflammation of the bile ducts in the liver)
- Biliary stricture (narrowing of the common bile duct)
- Sclerosing Cholangitis: Involves bile ducts and liver. In this disease, the body produces inflammation on its own. Sclerosing cholangitis with febrile periods requires that the person be treated in the hospital at frequent intervals.
- Side effects of drugs: Some drugs can cause a change in stool color. In particular, antibiotics used in the treatment of infections due to intestinal disorders such as diarrhea or tuberculosis can cause this situation. Birth control pills and anti-inflammatory drugs can also cause white stools. Anabolic steroids can also trigger the formation of white stools by causing drug-induced hepatitis.
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis: Primary sclerosing cholangitis occurs when the bile ducts become inflamed or wounds form in this area.
- Giardiasis disease: It is a contagious disease. It is caused by a parasite called Giardia intestinalis.
- Liver problems Problems with the liver or bile ducts can cause the stool to turn light or white in color. Many liver diseases can cause white stools, including the following.
- Infectious diseases such as hepatitis A, B and C
- Liver damage from alcohol consumption
- Autoimmune diseases that occur when they attack liver cells in the body
- Liver cancer
- Liver cysts
- Wilson’s disease is a genetic condition in which the body contains too much copper.
What Causes White Stools in Children?
Most causes of white stools in children are quite serious and are due to problems with the liver, small intestine, or gall bladder. These include hepatitis or other liver infections, congenital abnormalities of the bile ducts or intestines, gallstones, tumors or cysts, biliary cirrhosis, sclerosing cholangitis, narrowing of the bile ducts, and congenital metabolism abnormalities.
What Are The Symptoms That Can Be Seen With White Stool?
- Yellowing of the skin, yellowing of the whites of the eyes
- Abdominal pain
- Itchy skin
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Feeling bloated
- Abnormal foul-smelling stools
- Changes in stool consistency
- High fever
- Unexplained weight loss or inability to gain weight
- Bone or joint pain
- Easy bleeding or bruising on the skin
How is White Color, Light Color Stool Treated?
When you encounter white, light colored stools, you should go to an internal medicine doctor. The doctor will order stools, blood tests, and some other tests. He will determine the cause of this situation and apply the necessary treatment. For example, if this situation is caused by infection, he will prescribe antibiotics. If it is caused by jaundice, he will apply jaundice treatment. If there is a stone in the gallbladder, a surgical operation will be performed